Sunday, April 13, 2008

Snowboards: Looking into other options


I have finally heard back from the Swiss distributor of Option Snowboards. He offered me a 20% discount on the 08/09 models that will become available September. I don't think they have taken much time to understand why I have complained. I still have boarding to do this winter. A board a discounted board in September is of no use to me know, and a 20% discount on beginning of season prices isn't really worth waiting for in my opinion when I am able to pick up some fantastic discounts at this time of year on current year models. I am not a firm believer that newer is better. I think a lot more innovation is going into custom ski making than snowboards these days which have kinda plateaued. I would be quite happy to ride a two season old Option Freeplus. I loved that board. Well, I loved its ride characteristic. My after sales service experience has been appalling and I have waited three months to learn that it wont be covered. I have come to terms with that. I am just really irritated that it has taken three months, three months where my life has only been about riding, and I have had to ride my old board.

I wasn't surprised to learn that others have had similar experiences in the past. I found this comment from someone else while I was looking into when Option moved from a one year to a two year limited warrantee (the reason my board wasn't covered despite only having about 20 days riding in it):

Customer Service:
Getting Option to warranty their boards is like getting the Pope to sell his soul to the devil. Option Customer Service is argumentative and blames all delaminations on rock damage even if there is no sign of abuse. My boards were in perfect shape (except for the delamination)You might get option to repair your board (not replace) but they will charge you for it even if you are within the warranty period. Paying over $400 for a high end board should merit a company standing behind its higher end products. Option does not stand behind their products at all.

So, I am now looking into new boards, something with some decent pop, but is stiff enough not to chatter at the end of the day when I am flying home down icy groomers, and something that is big enough for champagne powder whem I am carrying my backpack with avalanche gear and my camera on my back. I guess we can't have it all. I have ridden Burton's Malolo earlier this season and although I enjoyed it when I took it off-piste, there is no way that I can mess around and ride switch when you return to the groomers. I am also doing quite a bit of travel so I want one stick that does it all, from park to big mountain. I am not too keen to carry around a quiver with me wherever I go. (i got wacked £230 in excess baggage on my Air India flight from London to Delhi in early February because snowboards aren't skis and the rules only specify an allowance for skis and surfboards! That's another story.)

If there is anyone out there that has any great advice, feel free to drop me a line. I am currently looking at the Rome Anthem, Burton Supermodel, Burton Custom, and a few Ride boards. I have also heard that Elan make great boards, and many other manufacturers actually outsource their manufacturing of boards to Elan in Slovenia. I don't really know their range though so if there e is anyone that wants to share their wisdom, please let me know.

I like the idea of designing my own board and stumbled on a number of sites. The first was when I was looking into Elan boards, and the other I came upon while doing some research. I also met a few custom designers at Freestyle.ch in Zurich last September and have found a wealth of information here. Take a look at it, its really interesting.

I am not sure that I have the time, the facilities and tools, and the technical know-how, but the idea of manufacturing my own board is appealing. I take my hats off to all these guys who do. Take a look at the gallery pictures and read up how it is done. If I find myself settling in one place for long enough, with time enough to spare, I might try my hand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello John

I'm sorry that our offer does not meet your expectations.

I was surprised to read that you don't have your board back, usually with a negative reply of a warranty case, we send back the item... So I called the shop (beach mountain at Birmensdorferstr) to ask about your case. I spoke with Vince, and he says that the board is there at the shop, waiting for you! He couldn't reach you since you were out of Switzerland, he said !

Here is the number of the shop 044/241 79 49 of beach mountain.

Best Regards and enjoy your trip in Kamchatka.

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us |John Carolin 2008